Low-Income Home Repair Loan Program
Do you want to prevent major damages to your home? Are you interested in protecting and increasing your home’s value? Do you want to live more comfortably, feel safer and healthier in your home? Homes require regular maintenance due to weather, wear-and-tear and aging. Your home is one of the biggest investments you will make and with maintenance you are less likely to have it deteriorate and break down. To ensure everything is safe and running in your home, let us help you with home repairs! We provide low-income families financial assistance for home repairs and arrange for certified contractors to make the repairs. Qualifying participants can optionally receive SERI’s help throughout the program process. This program is funded by the National Fair Housing Alliance.
We do not provide emergency home repairs. If you need immediate assistance with repairs, please contact an emergency repair organization or business in Tucson.
0-Interest loans of up to $2,000 available to 50 participants (on a first-come-first-serve basis).
- Loans can be used for certified contractor work and home repair supplies and materials.
- The loans are structured as ‘revolving loans’ where we provide families loans and once they are paid back we are able to distribute loans to new families.
- Smaller loans are to be be paid back within 12 to 24 months and larger loans you can discuss a payment plan with SERI staff.
- Attend a FREE energy efficient workshop to receive a FREE energy efficiency kit to self-install (on a first-come-first-serve basis).
Do You Qualify?
- On low-income, less than or equal to (≤) 80% of the AMI (see chart below)
- Homeowner of single-family or mobile home
- Property taxes paid
HUD Median Family Income Chart (Fiscal Year 2023)
What We Provide
Providing interior and exterior home repairs and replacements to improve your health and safety at your home. This list includes but not limited to the following:
* Available as ENERGY STAR®
- Roof (coating, improper nailing, uneven or crooked, bare spots, etc.)
- Photovoltaic roofing
- Gas leak or damage
- Water leak or damage
- Septic system (leaks, fails to operate, etc.)
- Sewer line (cracks, corrosion, etc.)
- Plumbing (leaks, defective fixtures, etc.)
- Heating (heat pump hot water heater*, furnace, boilers, fireplaces, solar hot water heater, etc.)
- Cooling (central air conditioning*, swamp cooler, heat pump, etc.)
- Programmable thermostat
- Smart thermostat*
- HVAC (rusted pans, clogged drain lines, dirty filters, etc.)
- Duct insulation, sealing and repair
- Electrical (faulty wiring, electrical panel, junction box connections, spliced wiring, switches, GFCI outlets, etc.)
- Weatherization (air sealing, insulating, caulking, weatherstripping, etc.)
- Structural (walls, entryways, ceiling, masonry, stucco, etc.)
- Foundation including crawl space and basement (cracking, curling, sloping, rotting, missing shingles, etc.)
- LED lighting and fixtures
- Solar light tubes*
- Door and window (foggy windows, broken windows and screens, etc.)
- Minor electrical (electrical outlet, switch, light fixture, etc.)
- Clothes washer and dryer*
- Double-pane windows
- Window coverings (shutters, roller shades, screens, awnings, blinds, etc.)
- Roof vent, louvers and turbine
- Natural gas or propane boiler*
- Natural gas or propane furnace*
- Refrigerator and freezer*
- Ceiling fan*
- Attic fan
- Shower thermostatic shut-off valve
- Air cleaner or purifier*
- Glass and mirror
- Carpet and frame
- Siding and drywall
- Blackout curtains
- Cabinets and countertops
- Security (locks, lights, etc.)
- Fire and smoke damage
- Storm or wind damage
- Termite damage
- Wood rotting
- Mold abatement and removal
- Porch, deck and carport
- Installing smoke detectors and CO alarms
- Grab bars and railings
- Door lever handle
- Roll-in or flat shower
- Shower chairs
- Bathtub lifts
- Barrier-free shower doors
- Hand-held showers
- Toilet safety frames
- Raised toilet seats
- Transfer benches
- Kitchen modifications
- Accessible lighting (distance from wall and mounting height)
- Stairlifts and porch lifts
- Wheelchair ramps
- Widening doorways
What We Do NOT Provide
We do not provide some repairs and replacements at your home that include but not limited to the following:
- Emergencies (if you need immediate assistance with repairs, please contact an emergency repair organization or business in Tucson).
- Remodeling projects
- Lighting and/or cleaning furnace
- Cosmetic (plastering, patching minor wall cracks, adding new carpet, painting, adding shelves, etc.)
- Appliances (range, oven, stove, garbage disposal, etc.)
- Sprinklers, bubblers and drip system
- Roof gutter and downspout
- Swimming pool
Steps of the Program
Option A: Have SERI assist you with the full project including hiring contractors and home repair supplies and materials.
Option B: Receive a loan from SERI and get your own certified contractor and home repairs supplies and materials.
Attend a Workshop
Attend a FREE energy efficient workshop to receive a FREE energy efficiency kit to self-install (on a first-come-first-serve basis).
For more information and/or questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org