Sonora Environmental Research Institute, Inc. (SERI)
Full-time Position (40 Hours/Week)
SERI is a community-based, non-profit, tax-exempt organization that has been extensively involved with environmental, health and safety issues in southern Arizona for over 27 years. Our mission is to preserve the environment and protect human health through the development of a sustainable future where there is environmental justice and opportunity for all people regardless of economic, ethnic, nationality or gender status. We partner with neighborhoods that are under economic, environmental and health stress and help determine the risks to which the residents are exposed and actions to be taken to reduce those risks. We respond to community needs and implement programs to make immediate and long-term impacts.
The Financial Specialist will be responsible for ensuring accurate and timely grant accounting services and overseeing the financial aspects of SERI’s low-income grant and loan programs for rainwater harvesting, gray water harvesting, energy efficiency and home repair. The Financial Specialist must have a positive attitude, be solution-oriented, be flexible and have a willingness to collaborate with program staff to identify issues and develop solutions.
- Coordinate and track all program costs on grants and contracts.
- Prepare and submit monthly invoices and back up detail for reimbursement.
- Prepare and submit quarterly and annual financial grant reports.
- Oversee all aspects of accounts receivable including monitoring and tracking loan payments.
- Assist with preparing grant proposals including budget development and justification.
- Assist with procurement process for obtaining supplies and contract services for rainwater harvesting, gray water harvesting, energy efficiency and home repair programs.
- Perform general organizational accounting tasks including preparing deposits, reconciling bank accounts, managing company credit cards and overseeing vendor payments.
- Review and analyze finance processes, policies and procedures for enhanced efficiency and effectiveness.
- Attend planning meetings with program staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Strong understanding of generally accepted accounting principles for non-profit organizations.
- Demonstrated success performing fiscally related grant processes.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent computer skills and experience with accounting software programs.
- Experience with Filemaker Pro database management.
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and have a proven aptitude for accuracy and detail. Ability to organize and prioritize work, perform multiple tasks, identify and resolve problems and coordinate efforts with other staff members.
- Ability to work with people of widely varied ages, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds.
- Bilingual proficiency in English and Spanish.
- Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field.
- Four years of relevant experience may substitute for the Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of three years of progressive experience in accounting in a non-profit handling a wide range or responsibilities, including budget management for grants or contracts.
- Flexible hybrid work schedule
- Thirteen paid holidays
- 130 hours of paid time off
- 24 hours of paid sick leave
- Health, vision and dental insurance
SERI is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Email a résumé and cover letter to Ann Marie Wolf at email@example.com.